A couple of years ago, I spotted a sign in the trash. It was the same day I was thinking of making New Year’s resolutions. Maybe some wise people and shepherds see signs in the sky. I see them in the trash.
My sign read, “Become Your Dream.” And I have done this – by pursuing teaching, coaching, and writing work.
I also have looked for and found signs on social media.
I love social media – I love the short expressive forms of WordPress, Twitter, and Facebook. Status updates guide and inspire me.
In 2012, social media marketing guru Chris Brogan chose three guiding words: Temple, Untangle, Practice.
- Treat your body like a temple.
- Untangle yourself from distractions.
- Practice mindfulness.
I want to do those three things too.
And for this pre-Christian season I want these three words: Simplify, Joy, Kindness.
I want to:
- Simplify my holiday by focusing on the things and experiences I love, like light, music, creativity, and time with family. And jettison clutter and consumerism.
- Give and receive light and joy to and from everyone I meet. And let go of judging.
- Practice kindness. Know that the Christmas season is stressful and so I vow to perform daily acts of kindness.
Isaiah 7:14 says, “Therefore the Lord will give you a sign.” Look for your sign. Look for your three words. They may be in the trash, the sky, or on Twitter. Let three simple words guide you through the holiday season and then through the New Year.
What are your three words?
I wrote this today for an upcoming Advent Devotional for the Church of St. Paul and St. Andrew United Methodist Church.
- Thanks To Social Marketing Guru Chris Brogan For 3 Words To Guide Us In 2011 (hypebot.com)
- one little word (katietieman.wordpress.com)