Here’s one of the sparkling gems from Southern writer Pat Carr’s Memoir and Fiction Writing class.
- Odor – wet sand
- A time of day or season – end of summer
- Temperature – warm and humid
- Sound – children laughing
- Important object – small charm bracelet
- Dominant color – beige
- Dominant shape — circles
- Something that can be touched – curly hair
- Taste – rain in the air
- Certain slant of light – late afternoon sun
I love number 10. Pat was inspired by Emily Dickinson. Love Dickinson: “Tell all the Truth but tell it slant.”
Light is so important, I think, as I write from a sun-soaked bench cloistered in a square at Yale University attending the International Women’s Writing Guild conference.